After leaving ‘Albania’ on November 11, 1848, at the end of his first journey, Lear spent nine days in quarantine on the island of Santa Maura, present-day Lefkada. Since 1810, Lefkada had been ruled by the British, who, by 1815, were in control of Corfu and the other Ionian islands. It wasn’t until 1864 that “The United States of the Ionian Islands“ were finally ceded to Greece.
***** Move the above to Corfu page
After his quarantine on the island of Lefkada (Santa Maura) Lear travelled to Malta … then Egypt etc and back to Greece for two months with FL.
After bidding farewell to Lushington, Lear spent 5 days in Corfu catching up with old acquaintances before hitching a ride to Preveza on a ship carrying a party of Albania-bound British consular officials.
We were off Prévyza at four p.m., when I once more set foot in Epirus. Signor Damaschinó, the Vice-consul at Ioánnina, and my acquaintance of last year, his wife, and her brother Viani, were also of the Albanian-bound party, and we were all soon heartily welcomed at the Consulate by Mr. Saunders and his ever-hospitable family.
Parga – 30.April.1849 (1) – from the ‘Government steamer’
… on the 30th, Lord Seaton offering to take me as far as Prévyza, on his way to Santa Maura, I decided to recommence my Albanian researches from that point, and joined the party in the Government steamer.
To-day … I devote to visiting and making drawings of Nicópolis, which I had hastily glanced at when passing through Prévyza last year. The ruins of this city, founded by Augustus after the battle of Actium, lie not above three miles from Prévyza, and the walk thither is very pleasant, through plantations of olive-trees.
Returning to Prévyza at noon, I sketched for the remainder of the day in the outskirts of the town.
- Roman Catholic Cemetery at Palaiopolis, Kaligoni, Santa Maura – inscribed l.l.: R.C. cemetery Kaligoni; further inscribed, dated and numbered l.r.: Santa Maria 23 April 1863 5.30 pm / (68) – pen and brown ink and watercolour
The ladopitta (oil pie) of Lefkada is a traditional sweet made of olive oil, flour, sugar or honey and grape syrup. It is offered as a dessert in weddings, christenings and other family occasions.
CAPO DUCATO. OR SAPPHO’S LEAP – SANTA MAURA EDWARD LEAR DATE: C 1863
- Picture of Cape Ducato from LefkadaHistory.gr from Lear’s viewpoint.
In about two or three hours we reach Lúro, a scattered collection of huts, with one or two better houses at the foot of the hills, and following the track at their base, shortly arrive at clear springs, and a quiet secluded lake, fringed with luxuriant foliage, and resounding with the notes of the nightingale and the cuckoo.
Arta to Kranea (Kragnà)
Sulí. 5th.May.1849. noon. (23) – see possible location on map
WEBCAM Loutsa S of Parga https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/epirus/preveza/loutsa-beach.html
Bagotjús / Dhramisiús
- Ioannina (Jannena), Greece
Pen and brown ink with watercolour over traces of pencil;
inscribed lower right in pen: Iwannra [sic] / Aug.. 1856 April 1857; and again in pencil: Aug 1856. Apr. 1857
WEBCAM Kalambaka – Theopetra Live cam View of the rock caves of Theopetra in Kalambaka https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/thessalia/trikala/kalabaka-theopetra.html
- Webcam https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/thessalia/trikala/trikala.html
- Trikala: The city that always has a story to tell you – https://news.gtp.gr/2022/03/21/trikala-i-poli-pou-ehei-panta-mia-istoria-na-sou-pei/
Ela Meteora Trikala – https://elameteoratrikala.com/
WEBCAM Paralia SW of Thessaloniki https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/katerini/paralia.html
WEBCAM Litochoro SW of Thessaloniki https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/pieria/litochoro-plaka.html
WEBCAM Mount Olympus – Home of the Gods Live cam. Panoramic view of Mount Olympus from Skotina Pierias – Erkeiades https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ellada/makedonia/pieria/olympos.html
- Journals of a Landscape Painter in Albania, &c. London: Richard Bentley, 1851 – paper
FIRST EDITION, 8vo (250 x 152mm.), engraved map, 20 tinted lithographed plates, modern half morocco, top edge gilt, a few leaves browned, single pin-prick wormhole in first half of book
- View of Episkopi, Crete
Pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil;inscribed, dated and numbered, lower right: Enovon [sic]. May 4 5. 4 P.M. 1864 / (78)
- View of Mount Athos, Greece – oil on board 29 x 47 cm.; 11 1/2 x 18 1/2 in. https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2017/old-masters-day-l17037/lot.222.html
- Helicon and Lake Copais from the mountains above Kokhino on the way to Thebes, Greece – Pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil; inscribed with the title and the artist’s colour notes – https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2017/old-master-british-works-paper-l17040/lot.197.html
- Corfu from the Hill of Gastouri
titled, inscribed, signed and dated on the stretcher; Corfu from the hill of Gastouri/ Painted for Henry Fraser Walter Esq. by Edward Lear 1857-8 – oil on canvas
- Falla near Strongoli, Corfu
Pen and brown ink over pencil on blue paper; inscribed lower left with the title in Greek and dated: 4 May. 1862, numbered lower right: 49 + 2, and further inscribed with artist’s notes
- A distant view of the Citadel, Corfu
Watercolour over pencil, heightened with touches of bodycolour and gum arabic; signed lower right with the artist’s monogram and inscribed: Corfu
- The School of Homer, Ithaca, Greece – https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2019/old-master-drawings-l19040/lot.429.html
Pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil;inscribed with colour notes and lower left: Ithaca The School of Homer (in Greek) / 30 April 1863. / 11.30 am., numbered lower right: (103)
signed with artist’s monogram (lower left) watercolour over pencil heightened with bodycolour on paper
The present watercolour shows a view of the town of Zante (or Zakynthos) from the foothills of Mount Skopos.
Ionian Islands (unspecified)
- Views in the Seven Ionian Islands. London: Edward Lear, 1863 – Paper
FIRST EDITION, folio (497 x 334mm.), lithographed title with vignette view and 20 plates, each with accompanying leaf of text, list of subscribers at end, original green cloth, gilt, all contents loose (gutta-percha perished), some tears and repairs, scattered spotting, rebacked with some wear
Literature Blackmer 987
- Views in the Seven Ionian Islands. London: Edward Lear, 1863
paper – FIRST EDITION, folio (490 x 320mm.), lithographed title with vignette view and 20 plates, each with accompanying leaf of text, list of subscribers at end, later leather, rubbed, joints splitting – https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2016/travel-atlases-maps-natural-history-l16401/lot.85.html
- Syra, Greece – Pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil;
inscribed and dated lower left: Syra. Octr 4 1856, further inscribed with the artist’s colour notes – https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2017/old-master-british-works-paper-l17040/lot.198.html
- View of the Acropolis and the temple of Hephaistos, Athens
Pen and brown ink and watercolor over pencil, heightened with white; inscribed lower right: Athens – from the West / June 5-6-7- 1848 / 5; further inscribed with extensive color notes. 319 by 495 mm; 12¾ by 19½ in.
- The Acropolis, Athens
Pen and brown ink and watercolor, heightened with white on gray paper;inscribed, dated and numbered, lower right: athens – / 5.6. / 9 June. / 1848 / 9
- The Acropolis, Athens
Pen and brown ink and watercolour, heightened with white oy paper; inscribed, dated and numbered, lower right: athens – / 5.6. / 9 June. / 1848 / 9
signed with monogram l.l. – watercolour
- Phyle Attica, Greece
watercolour and bodycolour, heightened with gum arabic;
signed with the artist’s monogram lower left
- The Valley of the Kalama, Greece
inscribed with the artist’s colour notes and dated: 5 April 6/7pm 1857 – pen and brown ink and watercolour over pencil on paper
- Thermopylae, Greece
Pen and brown and blue ink with watercolour over pencil, heightened with white on grey paper; inscribed lower right: 102 / Thermopylae / 30 June 1848; further inscribed with artist’s note.
Preveza / Lefkada
- Rome2Rio – Airport to Preveza https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Preveza-Airport-PVK/Pr%C3%A9veza#r/Bus/s/0
- KTEL Preveza long distance https://www.ktelprevezas.gr/en/itineraries/
- KTEL Lefkada local buses https://ktel-lefkadas.gr/en/routes/local/
- Car ferry to Meganissi – http://ferryboatmeganisi.gr/en/homepage/
- KTEL (only mentions local and Athens) https://www.ktelthes.gr/en/